Monday, August 6, 2007

Jungle HEAT

So here's how the Milton show went....

Up at 5:30 to set up early before all the crowds show up for the 200th Milton anniversary. Dad and I set up, sipping coffee, feeling the fringes of the oppressive heat that would soon be rendering people helpless within hours. By 7 a.m. we were done, and I was off to run a 5k with Robert in Dewey. Okay, so that was stupid, but we did it, didn't pass out and didn't set any records. Then it was to the shower (a pointless effort) and back to the art show. My tent had no shade till about noon when the sun was directly over my meager tent. Before then, Sally Culp and I sat near each other in a patch of shade that was just wide enough for both of us to sit sideways in. Sweat rolled off us in big streaming rivulets. We panted like dogs. We told the art gods that if we didn't sell anything, that all this suffering and pentinence would be for naught. We certainly didn't sell enough to make it worth it. I think people were too hot to reach for their wallets. By 3 p.m., people were walking around looking reminiscent of Dawn of the Dead zombies with their hair stuck to the sides of their heads and their cheeks flushed bright red. (Hey, I rhymed.) Water was the nectar of life and kept most of us from fainting dead away.

But HEY, I still love summer!

Current shows: Nassau Gallery in Lewes DE. Opening is Wednesday, August 6 from 6-8 p.m.
Rehoboth Art League Member Show runs through September.
Grace Church juried show - September 7 through October 1.

No comments: