Friday, October 19, 2012

Camille Pisarro

Sometimes I am horribly afraid to turn around canvases which I have piled against the wall; I am constantly afraid of finding monsters where I believed there were precious gems!  Thus it does not astonish me that the critics in London relegate me to the lowest rank. Alas! I fear that they are only too justified! However, at times I come across works of mine which are soundly done and really in my style, and at such moments I find great solace. But no more of that. Painting, art in general, enchants me. It is my life. What else matters? When you put all your soul into a work, all that is noble in you, you cannot fail to find a kindred soul who understands you, and you do not need a host of such spirits. Is not that all an artist could wish for?

No comments: