Monday, October 20, 2008

What would you do with $1,600?

So, we're back from our trip. It was fun. We could have used a few more days to explore, but we did as much as we could and as much as we had energy for.

One of the exciting things that happened on this trip happened in the hotel lobby. I was standing by a big fireplace (it was cold) waiting for Tina, when I happened to look down at a pretty red leather chair next to me. On it was money. On closer inspection, the top bill was a hundred dollar bill. It was one of those "hmmm" moments. I reached down to pick it up and realized it was a WAD of hundred dollar bills. 16 of them, folded in half just as pretty as could be. I held them and kind of turned around slowly in my spot, looking for someone who might have been "punking" me. No one there. Just me and the green. That moment was one of instant ethical dilema. I walked over to Tina, money in hand and told her what happened. Her eyes bugged out, just as mine were.

I debated for a split second on what to do, but like a good girl, took it to the front desk and explained what happened. Their eyes bugged out too. The manager relieved me of my instant windfall and locked it in the safe in case the rightful owner returned. (At this point I was really hoping the rightful owner wouldn't end up being the entire front desk staff - dividing it up and going shopping). I left my contact info and Tina and I were on our way.

The next morning I stoped back down at the front desk and asked if the owner claimed the money. He did, (according to the woman at the desk). He called after realizing what happened - he was quite a ways from the hotel by this point. He apparently described where he was sitting, how the money was folded and how much there was. He drove back and retrieved it. The disturbing part of this story is that I did not receive a phone call from either the hotel, telling me the money was claimed, OR the owner with a thank you. Now, I have faith in human kind, and I am still holding out hope that the owner will at least drop me a line in the mail saying thanks. (Please mister, don't make me lose faith).

So the question is, what would you have done?

When I get a chance, I'll post some of the pics from the trip. Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera on the train to Boston and Salem (stupid) but have some great shots of Mystic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - pretty crazy. I'm sure I would've done exactly what you did. And then I would not have stopped kicking myself for a week.

This Crazy Life of 437 said...

I WOULD HAVE KEPT IT!
I WOULD HAVE KEPT IT!
I WOULD HAVE KEPT IT!
I WOULD HAVE KEPT IT!
I WOULD HAVE KEPT IT!!

AND YOU SHOULD HAVE TOOOOOOOO!!... AND GIVEN IT TO ME!!!!!