Friday, June 25, 2010

Bicycle

The other night I was thinking about bicycles that have been part of my life and which part they belonged to. When I was a little girl, I went everywhere on my bike - right up until high school, when I got my license and abandoned my bike like the fickle girl I was. Actually, it probably happened a little before that, when my beloved 10-speed was stolen from just outside our shed. That's what I got for not putting it in the shed and locking it. Lesson learned, but I was heartbroken over losing that bike. I remember a very cool bike pre-10 speed that had a patterned banana seat and a sissy bar. YES. I also remember streamers and putting playing cards on the spokes with clothespins. What a very cool sound.

There was quite a long gap between then and my next bike. The next one came in my thirties, when I got my tri bike. A flashy, silver, sleek road bike that I rode for competition. I named her the Silver Bullet, and she was a faithful steed.  :)  I sold that bike about 3 years ago when I came to the conclusion that my tri days were over. She was replaced with a beach cruiser, which is the total opposite of the 'bullet'. She's blue with a fat black seat with large springs (hmmm....may come in handy if my butt gets huge one day) and very wide handlebars, almost chopper-like, but not up high like a chopper. There are only foot brakes. Kind of a dork bike. Now, that being said, let me pay a little homage to my little beach cruiser.

I brought her into work with me so I could cruise down to the Farmer's Market on Tuesdays or up to the beach over lunch, or whatever. The other night I parked here at the Art League and rode my bike into the studio to avoid the dreaded parking situation and meters. It was a really pleasant ride. After the studio, I walked around town, with the bike, and then rode it back to the Art League in the dark. I have not ridden in the dark since I was a teenager, when I used to do it all the time. No lights, no helmet, just totally reckless teenage abandon. That's what I did the other night. Lightning bugs all around, a deliciously warm summer breeze, crickets, ocean sounds, boardwalk smells....it was like being instantly cast back to the summer of 76 - 79. I can't do justice to the way I felt as the breeze blew back my hair, with the feel of the bike (and a small bit of fear because I couldn't see sh*t in the dark). There wasn't a soul around. It was a wonderfully freeing feeling and I fell instantly in love. I took the bike down to the marina and sat by the water and the boats and just soaked up the peace. Then I went to get a big cone of peanut butter frozen yogurt. The transformation was complete.

Yesterday I took the bike around to deliver rack cards for the RAL. I haven't been wearing a helmet, because the bike seems so tame compared to my road bike - though I'm very aware that I can still fall off and crack my big head, even on a slow bike. Much to my surprise, I got pulled over in a BIKE CHECKPOINT. Yes, that's what I said. They do them around here, mainly for our Russian workforce who show in droooooves in the summertime. They tend to ride on the wrong side of the road, not wear helmets or use lights and often get hit or killed in the summertime. So, here's stupid me, riding down Reho Avenue and a cop stops me. I wasn't in trouble and didn't get a ticket, but I did get air in my tires, TWO blinky lights (one for the front and one for the back) AND a helmet. For free! I put the helmet on, which matched my bike, and rode away, wishing it was dark so I could try out my new lights.  :)

Now I have to think of a name for "her". She's going to be a new summertime friend and I think it'll be a beautiful relationship.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I love this! Makes me want a bike. Alas, there is nowhere safe to ride here. People ride them all the time, but there are shoulders to ride on, and it's so dangerous. Enjoy your new toy! :) Update with her name then...