Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Conversation

This isn't finished yet, but getting there. A little more to do. I think it's 24 x 36, and titled "The Conversation". This scene is from Kitts Hummock in Dover DE, a little deserted beach with houses that time forgot. This night was breathtaking in its beauty. I took many photos, and am looking forward to painting them all.

A fellow artist asked me recently, "what do you want your viewer to experience?"

I have to say that question stumped me. I'm not sure I have ever really asked myself that question.

The answer I can best come up with is that I'd like the viewer to have the same "oooooh" moment that I did. To have your breath taken away by the beauty of nature. The crispness of the sky and the clouds, the glassy perfection of the ocean, the way everything meets up at a vanishing point leading to "somewhere else". But more than that, it's an URGE to capture what I've seen in paint. It's not something a photo can do, though I love to look at the photos. The painting is a release of all the experience of the day, the company, the conversation, all translated from my brain and heart to my arm, fingers and finally the brush. Once it's there, it's there, and it's a completed circle.

No comments: