Monday, June 23, 2008

Hopper and Thiebauld

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/WayneThiebaudThreeMachines.jpg

That's a link to a site with Wayne Thiebauld's artwork. A college professor introduced me to his work after saying he saw similarities in my work and his. Funny, even though we paint different subject matter, I can see what he means.

Last night someone told me my artwork reminded her of Edward Hopper - a very flattering compliment. Here's a link to some of his work.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=hp-pvdt&va=Edward+Hopper&sz=

And please don't misunderstand me, I certainly don't hold myself up to their level. Strictly having some fun noticing similarities in styles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim - Wayne Thiebauld is one of my all time favorite artists (at the moment). Love his bold, confident, economical brush strokes. Seems to me he would paint the same subject many, many times to get that confidence and familiarity with his subject. My instructor this spring had us do that - paint the same subject 5 or 6 times, but with different emphasis or style. I loved that approach. Nice work! I love the orange and blue towels. They absolutely make the painting (for me). You must've added them, or at least embellished the colors... nice decision!

Anonymous said...

Kim, I would like to add this artist as someone whose style your work reminds me of http://www.horndesign.com/. I love the way he reduces the landscapes and the openness of his forms. Although I would agree the woman who mentioned Edward Hopper was definitely onto something there.

Kim Klabe said...

Cool! I went to his website and like his work very much. Thanks! I'll be posting a new painting today. Have a great one, get painting!