Sunday, July 20, 2008

So, this was a nice weekend.

Yesterday, Robert and I got to spend some time together, and on the beach. With his going to school during the day and then working at night, we have seen precious little of each other. So we "penciled each other in" for Saturday. No art shows, no school, no work, no runs, just the beach and then whatever at night.


The beach weather ended up being the perfect July day weather. The breeze picked up, keeping things tolerable. If you like very cold ocean water, then the water was nice too - not for me, I like WARM water. We ran into Carol there and got to catch up on what has been happening in each other's lives.










After the beach, we got cleaned up and went out to Baywood Greens, a golf course on Rt. 24, which has beautiful gardens. We had a cocktail and some munchies, then went to my folks house for a birthday celebration for my Dad. Got to see the brothers and nieces/nephews, and we had a nice time.

We went to see The Dark Knight at the 9:50 show (I was seriously worried I'd be asleep by 10:30). I love Batman, but in my opinion, no one lives up to Michael Keaton as Batman. (Those LIPS, those EYES! that MASK!) And this guy-the American Psycho guy - does this supremely stupid (again, my opinion) thing with his voice when he's Batman that made me laugh every time. I guess he's trying sound sinister or something, but it sounds like a 4-year old trying to be a villain. Heath Ledger, however....I was ready to dismiss all the hype about his performance, figuring it was mainly because of his unfortunate death. BUT, he was amazing. I loved Jack Nicholson's Joker, but Heath Ledger really made him believable - not like a comic book character, but a real, live, wacko. The makeup was perfect, and the scars looked very real. He was just great, and I enjoyed his scenes so much more than Batman's. I love Gary Oldham too (became a fan during Bram Stoker's Dracula) and he did a great job as well. The movie didn't end till after midnight (Lord) so we got to bed late, but got to sleep in till TEN. Wow. After a long run, we went grocery shopping where I ran into my art critic from the other night....you know, the one with the comments about being an emerging artist? She approached me and said "I'm so glad I ran into you, I wanted to apologize for what I said the other night, it's been bothering me all weekend". Now I gotta tell you, people don't apologize very much, and this was a heartfelt apology. I thanked her, because it was very appreciated and it's never easy to apologize. Sometimes things just work out in a nice way.


And here's some shots from the Member Show.




No comments: