Thursday, December 24, 2009

Be yourself

He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away. ~Raymond Hull
Happy Christmas Eve!

As the New Year gets closer, my mind will turn to deeper thoughts and planning/pondering 2010. In my 45th year, there are things that I am (finally) resolute on. One of those being that I am okay with just being myself. I have done what the above quote suggests for a good portion of my life, and it is truly a soul-sucking process. Now my mantra is - if it's working for me, my kids and/or my friends and I'm not hurting anyone, then it's good enough. Once you change for one person, another will come along and expect the same for them. Soon you've changed so many times and whittle away so much of you, that there is nothing but a suggestion of who you used to be.

Life is good. I have a home, a job, healthy children, a great family and friends, a studio where I can do what I love most, and so much more. Sometimes it's difficult to balance it all, and sometimes the balance isn't always there, but life is a work in progress. There are going to be bumps, people you piss off, and people you hurt. But when it all boils down, you still have to live with yourself and be okay with your own decisions.

R.I.P. to Big Bob. You were da' man. They serve lasagne in heaven, I'm sure of it. ;)

No comments: