Sunday, December 1, 2013

Learning

We sometimes learn from the most surprising sources for sure. Our children, our grandparents, our enemies. I occasionally work with adults with Down Syndrome and the elderly (some with dementia) in senior centers. Years ago I would have assumed that nothing could be learned there, and I couldn't have been more wrong. My Down Syndrome friends are some of the happiest, easiest to be around, full-of-joy people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Just being with them makes me happy. Some of the seniors at the assisted living facilities love to tell stories of their lives - and it's easy to write them off as old and without merit, until you just listen. Their lives have been full, successful and exciting, just like ours can be. After all, we'll be the same way one day and certainly wouldn't want to be written off for having lived our lives.  So rock on, Superman.

No comments: