Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ding! 2013's done.

As I sit here on the last day of 2013, I am listening to Dustin's very loud truck pulling up in the driveway, baking a quiche and sipping coffee. So my first thought about the new year is whether or not Dustin's truck will make it through 2014, and if he'll actually a) graduate, b) get a job and c) get a new vehicle.

The next thought is about Dad. He had surgery yesterday to remove his broken femur, basically a partial hip replacement. Tough on an 81 year old man, but the good news is that his tumor is GONE. Gone! The thought is that the chemo and radiation worked their magic. So basically right now, he is cancer free. This means after not walking for 9 months (or driving, which bothered him more) he should be able to do both after healing from the surgery and completing physical therapy. He's not the best patient by far, but he's been through quite a lot, and hopefully will get his head straight about the work he's got to do. It's been a rough year on Mom too, but he care giving skills have been amazing, especially for an 80 year old woman.

So what else happened in 2013?

Haley graduated from high school and started at U of D. She's halfway through her freshman year and got great grades. Dustin is in his FIFTH year of college (oy) and hopefully will graduate in the spring. Another year at the art league, where we celebrated our 75th anniversary. A year that had poor art sales in the first 3/4 of the year, but picked up in the last quarter. Lorrie beat her cancer as well, and is now 98% finished with all her reconstructive work. Kevin has been through the wringer, but has come out happy and moving forward. People have come into my life and left my life, some more than once over the year. And it all happens for a divine reason that none of us really know. I made my p.r. with the Rehoboth Marathon, at 3:48. That was quite a moment.

I will say thank you. Thanks to the divine who guides us, thank you to my family and friends. I am grateful for a job, and a home and my health. I wish YOU the best in 2014, and hope that you surge forward with a smile, amazing goals and all the happiness and health that you seek.

Happy New Year!

No comments: