Wednesday, November 18, 2009

November

I know the saying "time flies" is such an old cliche that it has totally lost any meaning. But every year, when this time of year comes around, I find myself stunned that the holidays are nearly here. It takes me so long to get out of "summer mode" (probably through a well-practiced study of denial) that when I look at the calendar and see November 18, and realize Thanksgiving is a week away, I am utterly amazed. Then I start hearing about people Christmas shopping, and all the good deals that are out there, and I think....uh....that hasn't even crossed my mind yet. In fact, I have thought for years that my current idea of a fantastic Christmas would be to spend the day with family/friends and say to each other "my Christmas gift to you is the agreement that we won't buy any Christmas gifts this year." Everyone is spared the craziness of the retail crap, people can stay relaxed, and we can just enjoy the decorations, the music, the food and each other. Ah yes...if it could only happen. Haley has been talking about Christmas quite a bit. She's anxiously awaiting the "25 Days of Christmas" on the Family Channel. She loves Christmas, but seems to be more into what I was just talking about - the ambience - than the gift giving.

Dusty comes home a week from today, and he is very ready. And of course, we are very ready to see him. (Not that I see him much when he's home...that pleasure goes to his girlfriend.)

Two theatre sets to check out tonight, and both need to be done asap. Sigh. This time treadmill is brutal, just no getting off to catch up.

No comments: